Kathi felt sick to her stomach with being sick to her stomach. Her daughter’s relationship was suffering, doctors refused to treat her, and she was sad.
She finally conceded defeat. She would assist herself if no one else could. But she didn’t anticipate this.
Kathi struggled to stand when she heard the doorbell ring, slumped over, and coughed violently. She stood up from the couch and reached for her cane. Her cane scraped and tapped against the wooden floor as she stumbled to the entrance.
The builders had shown up. She returned to the couch, her customary seat, when they moved upstairs to complete the task. She closed her eyes in the anticipation that a snooze would help her aches. She then heard them yell out her name.
A typical 41-year-old woman named Kathi Wilson resided in Shelbyville, Indiana. To help her family, she had put in a lot of effort. Although she wasn’t a CrossFit fanatic, she led a somewhat active lifestyle.
When she abruptly became unwell ten years ago, she had convinced herself that she was just exhausted from stress and work. However, it was understandable for her daughter to be concerned.
In an effort to get better, Kathi downed a mixture of vitamins and over-the-counter medications. She took iron, zinc, vitamin b, vitamin c, vitamin e, and many more, but nothing appeared to work.
After a few weeks, Ashely, her daughter, made her go to the doctor. The doctor, however, had just confirmed what she already knew, and she had been issued a sick note authorizing her to take a few days off work to recover. But Kathi’s condition remained unabated.
Kathi was pale and occasionally exhausted. Her health continued to deteriorate as her appetite disappeared. Ashley was becoming more and more concerned. She dragged Kathi back to the doctor a few weeks after her initial appointment.
They were taken aback that Kathi, a resilient young lady with a robust immune system who ought to have recovered from the illness weeks ago, was instead continuing to deteriorate. They were now beginning to worry as well.
As she started to take Kathi seriously, Dr. Mary Beth Hensley performed blood and allergy testing in an effort to identify any illnesses or intolerances. The results of every test showed Kathi to be in good health.
Despite the lack of a diagnosis, they chose to use a “elimination” strategy, therefore Kathi was given a variety of antibiotics. Dr. Hensley had hoped Kathi’s response to the drugs would help her understand her condition, but the reverse occurred.
Instead of feeling better, Kathi started to feel worse. Her body ached, and she struggled to keep her eyes open. Then her mental health began to suffer as a result of the mysterious ailment. Her family and friends began to be concerned.
Perhaps she was only mentally ill? Kathi, though, was aware of her body and recognized when something wasn’t right. Ashely saw firsthand how her mother was deteriorating, but she also had a gut feeling that something wasn’t right.
Kathi looked up her symptoms online in an effort to learn more about her illness. She attempted natural medicines and herbal therapies, spoke to “experts” in internet chats, but nothing seemed to be working.
As time passed, more and more people began to doubt her, and nobody was able to provide her with any solutions. She had never previously felt so isolated. Maybe it was all in her head after all.
Over the ensuing ten years, Kathi frequently saw her doctor. Dr. Hensley gave Kathi the best care possible and performed all the necessary tests. She made considerable efforts to identify Kathi’s condition.
In order to determine whether something was connected, she insisted on having “cardiac testing, chest x-rays, [MRIs of the] brain, and the spine.” However, nothing seemed unusual. Dr. Hensley said, “I felt we were pretty thorough but didn’t come up with a solution. However, Kathi was becoming weary of it all.
The unknown ailment had impacted Kathi’s mental health for years. It had an impact on her social life, career, and most significantly, her quality of life. She had been experiencing flu-like symptoms for ten years when she made the decision to take care of herself if no one else could.
She therefore made the decision to upgrade her bathroom as a treat. She intended to rebuild the entire bathroom in order to turn it into a retreat. She set up contractors to handle the work. But soon later, they discovered something startling.
When the contractor inquired about Kathi’s water heater installation, his forehead wrinkled in worry. Ashley must have been a young child when it was implanted, and Kathi was aware of this fact years before she fell ill. She gave it some thought and retorted, “Perhaps ten years ago?” The workers were appalled.
They had found that the water heater and furnace were installed improperly, allowing trace levels of carbon monoxide to leak into the residence over time. Carbon monoxide, however, is poisonous.
Carbon monoxide is visually undetectable because it has no color or smell. The gas thus becomes a silent killer. When it comes into contact with the body, the gas replaces oxygen in the blood, seriously harming the heart, brain, and other essential organs. Chest pains, exhaustion, nausea, migraines, and vertigo can all be brought on by even a minor exposure to CO.
However, prolonged exposure might have negative effects, such as vomiting, trembling, muscle weakness, and disorientation. CO poisoning can sometimes even be fatal. But how had she continued to receive incorrect diagnoses?
Kathi had given up hope after years of seeking solutions from experts and medical professionals. But now, Kathi’s ten-year-old symptoms were finally completely explained! She had finally received a response from the most unexpected visitors. She said, “I was shocked.
Since Kathi had been afflicted by an unknown ailment for so long, she was in the physical shape of an elderly woman. How could she possibly give them enough gratitude, though?
Ashley said, “It just continued getting worse and worse over the years. She was ecstatic to learn that there was finally evidence of her mother’s illness. Kathi would now be able to conduct herself once more as a regular person.
They would finally be able to do all the things they had missed out on, like going shopping or going out to supper, after years of her mother being bedridden. But after all the years of disregard, could she ever forgive the doctors?
It’s been a while since Kathi felt this fantastic. The contractors gave her much more than simply a new bathroom; they gave her her life back.
She is overjoyed to be in complete healing—body, mind, and spirit. I feel fantastic, she declared. “I can’t remember the last time I was this happy.” Despite the years of chemical exposure and Kathi’s progress toward recovery, there is still cause for alarm in this tale.
Kathi wishes she had pressed for a diagnosis more vigorously. Because the tests came back negative, she had been labeled as crazy, deluded, and a hypochondriac for ten years. She was given the typical prescriptions for bed rest, exercise, or medicines, but nothing worked. She couldn’t get the answers from anyone.
But Kathi had good reason to believe in her gut. She is appreciative despite the fact that she had to wait ten years for a response. In addition to looking forward to her renewed vitality and her new life, Kathi also hopes that through sharing her experience, the risks of carbon monoxide will become more widely known.